Mining royalties transferred in Uganda in FY 2020-2021

The Mining Act 2003 (in force at the time of this data collection) stipulated that mining royalties must be allocated to the Consolidated Fund (80%) while the remaining 20% goes to the local governments where mining occurs. Of this 20%, the bulk (85%) is used by the districts for their operating budgets, and the remainder (15%) is paid to the land owners and lawful occupants that have been displaced from surface rights uses by mining operations.

According to the Uganda Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (UGEITI) Report for Fiscal Year 2020-21, the Uganda Revenue Authority collected UGX 8,704,703,985 as mineral royalties from mining companies and mineral dealers. The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development then transferred UGX 1,340,811,170 to local governments and landowners.

This data presents the detail of the royalty transfers over the reporting period.

Data and Resources

Additional Info

Field Value
Maintainer African Centre for Media Excellence
Last Updated October 2, 2023, 10:47 (Africa/Kampala)
Created October 2, 2023, 10:44 (Africa/Kampala)